Sunday, August 9, 2009

Token Board Answers

Sorry this has taken so long to post! Lots of you have been asking (some of you for a couple of years now) about my token board system. As you can see, I have also incorporated a weekly calendar which has our family members and what we are doing that week and on which days. I have a magnet of the zoo, aquarium, baking, crafts and put those on days when we do that. I also have pictures of ballet shoes and a soccer ball for when it is their day to do those as well. A Temple for Brad and I so the kids know which day we are doing that, then they also know there will be a babysitter that night or day.
This started about 3 1/2 years ago when we still lived in Airdrie. The kids were pretty little, I think Isaac was two? Three? We had a short list of things we expected him to be able to do. For example, not hit his sister, share his toys, etc. We have added more and more as they have gotten older. If he was good at accomplishing his goal, he would get a check mark. If he didn't do so well, we would give him an X. So at the end of the day, we would count the check marks and give him a token for each check. Then we would count his X's and he would have to give us tokens equaling the number of X's. We did this with Eden too, starting when she turned three as well.
They collected their tokens in jars they decorated, and at the end of the week, they could trade their tokens in at the "Token Store". Their jars broke, so we ended up painting these wooden boxes. It is also fun to see how their painting has improved since they were little...
The token store was basically a basket filled with dollar store gifts or stickers, books, or toys. Each item was worth a set number of tokens, and so if they didn't have enough tokens for the item they wanted, then they would have to save up their tokens for the next week.

Well, now that they are older, we have replaced the "Token Store" with money. Each token they earn is worth a set amount of money. We count up their tokens every day and give it to them at the end of the day. They "earn" tokens every day except Sunday. At the end of the week/month, we exchange the tokens for the money. We help them count their money, and help them split it up.

First, they pay their tithing. Then the remainder we split 50/50. Half goes into savings, and half goes into their wallets and they can choose to spend it how they want. Their tithing gets paid on fast Sunday, and the savings goes into their bank account, and their wallet stays in their three compartment bins until they want to spend their money.
We make a goal for what they want to save their money for to help teach them the importance of saving, and also to help them learn how to work a little for things they would like. It teaches them responsibility and some knowledge of how to handle their money wisely. Right now, they are saving up for our first trip to Disneyland. When we reach our goal date, we will see if they have saved enough, and how much mom and dad are putting in.

Well, that is my token system. Hope that finally answers questions. I know I will be getting a lot of emails about this. Please, can some of you figure out how to use the comments... ;) Just kidding, comment, email, I am good.

Loves & Later!

PS - Karen, would love to see your blog! I don't have your email! Let me know how to reach you!

3 comments:

Holly Rice said...

Love this Kay! I have done similar things in the past, reminds me I need to do it again, It would probably motivate certain children of mine.

Becky said...

That's a great idea Kay! I'm sure the kids will have some long lasting benefits from doing this - money management, responsibility, consequences of doing good/bad... and so on. Might be something we'll have to try when the girls are older.

shauna said...

I like this! Where did you get those 3 compartment bins? I haven't seen anything like those around here but I would LOVE some!